Friday, April 11, 2014

First Day on the Pod

Today is my first day using an OmniPod. I was very excited and found it hard to sleep last night, or maybe I couldn't sleep because my endocrinologist had instructed me to not take my Lantus long-acting insulin last night, so high blood sugar kept me awake all night. At about three in the morning I checked my blood sugar and took two units of fast-acting NovoRapid. Those were gone by the time I got up at seven and had a blood sugar of 15. I met my pump trainer, Nicola, at a local restaurant. She's very nice. She showed me how to activate my PDM (personal device manager) and program in my basal rate and my carbohydrate-to-insulin ratio, which is now 10 to 1. (My endo had originally set it at 12, but Nicola and I decided to take the middle ground between 8 to 1, which I had been using, and 12 to 1, which Dr. Miller said to use, and set it at 10 to 1.) I input all the information, filled the pod, activated it and stuck it on my left arm. When I put on the pod for the first time it felt very similar to an injection, but as I've been doing injections for 40-plus years, that's not a problem. I'm fine with going from four injections a day to one injection every three days. Unfortunately my blood sugar has been high all day. I think it's a combination of the lack of long-acting insulin in my system and probably miscalculating the carbohydrates in my breakfast. (A breakfast wrap with a side of hashbrown potatoes.) It's coming down, but very slowly. I've had to resist the temptation to just grab my insulin pen and inject a bolus to bring down my blood sugar. I skipped lunch because I had breakfast very late and because my blood sugar was so high. For supper I intend to eat something for which I know the carbohydrate count for certain so that I know how much insulin to tell the pod to give me. Maybe I can avoid getting high blood sugar again (or avoid keeping it high.)

No comments:

Post a Comment